Thursday, April 23, 2009

Chad's Name-A Tribute

It was recently brought up about how we chose our Son's name, and since the 4 year anniversary of Chad Gaskins passing is coming up, it got me to thinking about Chad's name, and the wonderful person he is named after, and I thought I would share the story. I know most of you know this story, but I feel the need to share it.
Ben proposed to me in July of 2004 and we set the date of June 25, 2005. On April 24, 2005 my husbands closest friend, Chad, the one that was to be the best-man at our wedding, was killed in a motorcycle accident.
Needless to say, Ben was devastated, and as he had become a close friend of mine as well, we were very distraught. On the day of his death, we went to the site of the accident, and as we were standing in the last place our dear friend was alive, my husband looked at me with tears in his eyes, and asked me if we could name our first son Chad. I agreed with all of my heart, i could not think of a better way to honor our friend, a friend that was never able to be married, or have children of his own (which he desprately wanted). In August of 2008 we welcomed Chad William Greaby, grateful to be able to honor our friend.
The first few weeks after our son was born, it was hard to hear his name all the time, and at one point i asked my husband if he could handle hearing his name for the rest of our lives, and he admitted it was hard, but he felt the need to do it. And now, 8 months later, i can't imagine our son with a different name, he is a daily reminder of our loved friend, whom we think of every day. Our son will always know the story of his name, and the amazing man he is honoring.

No comments: